What we do
New Zealanders now have access to more information than ever before, but how can we be sure that what we are reading and being told about nutrition is accurate and not just based on weak science and celebrity or popular opinion?
- The New Zealand Nutrition Foundation is a primary source of independent evidence based information on food and nutrition for New Zealanders.
- We guarantee the accuracy of all our information and activities by using an independent Scientific Advisory Group. This group is made up of nutrition professors and experts from universities and research organisations across New Zealand.
- We aim to be the first point of contact for the media when they need information and opinion on current food and nutrition issues.
- The Foundation provides up-to-date and relevant information based on sound science through this website, our own publications and education programmes.
- While the Foundation works in all areas of food and nutrition, we are the only nutrition-focused organisation to recognise the importance of food and nutrition for older people. Our Committee for Healthy Ageing is our very active working group specialising in this, often under-recognised, area of nutrition.
- The Foundation has a voice in the global nutrition community at a national and international level through its membership of and representation at the following:
- Food Information Organisation International Network (FIO)
- Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) Food and Beverage Forum
- Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) stakeholder consultation
- NZ Fruit and Vegetable Alliance (NZFAVA)
- New Zealand Institute of Food Science and Technology (NZIFST)
- Nutrition Society of New Zealand
- Dietitians New Zealand (Dietitians NZ)
- Dietitians in Food Industry Special Interest Group
- Public Health Dietitians Special Interest Group
- Food Writers NZ